Promising start - many cool possibilities!

Mar 8, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Thanks for providing this tool to the community! I tried the 'Create based on project' workflow, and it worked well. :0

Here is random feedback:

• If the project's assembly was built, you can grab a bunch of info from it, specifically what goes in the AssemblyInfo.cs file. This will get you a description and owner (aka AssemblyCompany).
  • For dependencies, you can directly harvest them from the packages.config file you'll find alongside the csproj file.
  • It might make sense to save a NuSpec file at the root of the project so that the info entered by the user doesn't get lost if you need to run the wizard again

I have a number of other ideas, but let's start with that :)

BTW, we're planning to improve package creation from within VS as well, though it could be a while, and having a tool that works outside VS could be great as well. Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxdUqw_PXII&hd=1 where I demoed a prototype of what that feature might be like. Essentially, it's the same idea as your 'Create based on project' workflow (with the suggestions above). The key is to pick up as much as possible about the project so the user doesn't need to repeat things in the wizard.

Coordinator
May 24, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Do you think i should keep working on this project ? I dont know, cause the nuget team does, off course, a very good job improving the original tools and my time is very limited.Sorry for my very very late reply.

May 24, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Maybe one approach is to try to bring some of the concepts that you have to the Package Explorer tool. While it supports creating package, it doesn't have that easy wizard workflow feel which I think may work better for some users. Any time that you have to contribute to NuGet is appreciate, but even if you don't, just being a user a giving good feedback on it is very helpful!

Coordinator
May 25, 2011 at 9:48 AM

That´s true. Is there any chance to get part of the NuGet Team?

By the way... if i keep working on this project, i will use the NuGet.Core in future. 

May 25, 2011 at 4:42 PM

You actually don't need to be a nuget team member to contribute. See http://docs.nuget.org/docs/contribute/contributing-to-nuget.